Art from Screaming Dove Studios

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

paper market bag

This is the first and LAST market bag that I am going to make out of paper. I thought it would be a fun experiment to try....NOT. This was not fun. First of all I had to cut the pattern out of butcher - easy part - had to decorate the paper so it was not all just white - tedious - cover the decorated paper with clear contact paper - getting more tendios and pissy - cutting out newspaper for padding between the front and the inside - getting to be more of a pain - Assembling the front, padding (newspaper) and lining together and sewing them up - a royal pain in my ass. While fabric will fold and move through a sewing machine easily, paper covered with clear contact paper is stiff and does not move smoothly. If I hadn't already spend two days working on this thing I would have just thrown it away. It measures 16" x 18" and.....damnit I am going to use it. I thought it would be good for cold food or frozen food from the market.


5 Comments:

  • At 12:21 PM, Blogger RicĂ« said…

    it's gorgeous and i love it, but i can easily imagine how hideous it must have been to make. i think, if you want to know the truth, that Contact Paper is from the devil. you know? in theory, i adore it. but in practice? it's just evil, and it screws with me Every Single time.

    condolences. and congratulations: you didn't break anything or set anything on fire! always a good sign--

     
  • At 6:08 PM, Blogger foundthings said…

    but what a cool pain in the ass!

     
  • At 6:17 PM, Blogger peggy gatto said…

    I love it! Now when will you sell them?

     
  • At 11:07 AM, Blogger Zardo and Odraz said…

    Yes Rice, the contact paper is from the devil....straight from hell. It is hideous. And not setting something on fire here is always a good sign as is not breaking anything....except my brain while I was sewing it.

    Peggy, I am setting up a etsy site to sell them.....the fabric ones not the hideously straight from hell paper one. I think I may frame that one and keep it as a reminder of what to never do again.

     
  • At 9:08 AM, Blogger Pam McKnight said…

    at least after all the hard time you had, the finished product looked good. Enjoyed your blog.
    http://pammcknight.blogspot.com/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counter
Free Counter